Re: [AMBER] Turning off non-bonded interactions for specific atomtype pairs

From: Marc van der Kamp <marcvanderkamp.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:21:46 +0100

Thanks Jason and Qiantao for your replies!

To clarify, what I aim to do is to turn off non-bonded interactions between
certain particles, whilst maintaining non-bonded interactions between the
particles and a solute.
In other words, if my particle atom types are A and B and we call all other
atom types X, then I want to turn off these non-bonded
interactions: A-A, A-B, B-B
Whilst keeping: A-X, B-X

Jason, is this really possible by 'just' modifying the topology? I presume
you mean hacking the %FLAG EXCLUDED_ATOMS_LIST section, or (also) elsewhere?
Wouldn't I be turning off all non-bonded interactions for specific atoms (so
also A-X and B-X)?

Re: using bonds between all A-A, A-B and B-B pairs:
Jason, I was thinking of using one-atom particles, so creating angles and
dihedrals by defining bonds between these shouldn't be a problem (as long as
I define them, using zero force constants). My point was that, in order to
exclude interactions for all A-A, A-B and B-B pairs, I'd have to introduce a
lot of "bonds" (just as many as there are non-bonded evaluations in a system
with infinite cut-off). So if the number of A and B particles is big, I
would guess it would start hurting performance (even though a bond-term
should take less time to evaluate than a Lennard-Jones 6-12 term). Or am I
missing something?

Re: where to start in case I'd need to change code:
Qiantao, you suggested looking at src/sander/set.f. But, as I'm dealing with
changing non-bonded interactions, shouldn't that be
src/sander/nonbond_list.f?
In that file, I see the subroutine get_nb_list. Furthermore, it seems
that QM-QM atom interactions are excluded in the subroutine pack_nb_list
(from line 1576 in nonbond_list.f, and then later also in
pack_nb_nogrdptrs):

   if ( qmmm_nml%ifqnt ) then

     if ( qmmm_struct%atom_mask(i) ) then ! then current atom is a QM atom

       ! skip interaction with all other QM atoms:

       do qm_temp_count2=1, qmmm_struct%nquant

         exclude(qmmm_nml%iqmatoms(qm_temp_count2))=i

       end do

     end if
   end if

Maybe the way to go would be to do something similar, e.g. introduce a loop
that checks if both atoms i and j are of type A,B, and if so, exclude them.

Anyway, many thanks for your inputs, and any more feedback is welcome!
Marc