Re: [AMBER] Reg:QM region + cutoff larger than box dimension

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 09:50:52 -0700

Hi Kaustubh

Have you checked that you can successfully run classical MD with this system
before switching to QMMM? Your box looks very ordered with many gaps between
molecules suggesting it is a long way from being equilibrated. You should
probably heat and equilibrate the density classically before swithing on the
QM/MM. Also taking a look at the final frame of your 4A trajectory shows
that the system crashed because you actually made hydrogen and this molecule
took off.

Your box is also VERY small. You have 28 x 23 x 27 angstroms at the initial
structure. Looking at your QM region it spans approximately 10 angstroms. So
with an 8 angstrom QM cut off your QM region consist of a MM shell that is 8
+ 10 + 8 angstroms across at the thickest point. This gives you 26
angstroms. Hence the second your box shrinks in size because it equilibrated
and the density increased or your QM region rotates such that the longest
axis points along the shortest (23 angstrom) dimension of your box so you
violate the minimum image convention and the calculation stops.

The 4 angstrom qmcut run worked because this would be 18 angstroms which
fits in your small box. However, the 4 angstrom cut is giving you wild QM/MM
interactions and as you can see from your trajectory you get a pair of
hydrogens ejected which form H2 and move away from the central QM region.
This expands your QM region size and as soon as QMcut+ QMsize + Qmcut is
greater than your box dimension so the calculation stops.

The simple solution is to make your box much bigger. I would suggest at
least 35 ansgtroms in each direction. You might need more if you expect the
molecules in your QM region to dissociate in some way.

I would also carefully equilibrate the system classical and then further
equilibrate with QMMM before attempting to do the umbrella sampling.

Good luck,
Ross