[AMBER] MMPBSA.py: no value inserted for "Residues to print": left as "RES EDIT"

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:32:45 +0200

Hey,

in my setup of things, MMPBSA.py writes a "RES EDIT" to an mdin file,
while `EDIT` could have been replaced by the entire residue range,
because I did not specify `print_res`. This is what I have done:

My ligand consists of residues 1-106 and residues 312-355. My receptor
consists of residues 107-311.

1) ante-MMPBSA
==============

$ ante-MMPBSA.py -p ../topology.top -c ../initcoords.crd -cp
complex_unsolvated.prmtop -rp receptor.prmtop -lp ligand.prmtop
-strip_mask ":WAT" -receptor_mask ":107-311"

[output attached, there are several warnings that I am worried about,
but should be unrelated to the problem discussed here]

2) MMPBSA input file
====================
&general
    startframe = 1000,
    endframe = 1020,
    interval = 5,
    receptor_mask = :107-311,
    ligand_mask = :1-106,312-355
/
&gb
    igb = 5,
/
&decomp
    idecomp = 1,
    dec_verbose = 3,
/

3) MMPBSA.py to create mdin files
=================================
$ MMPBSA -i mmpbsa_decomp.in -cp complex_unsolvated.prmtop -sp
../topology.top -rp receptor.prmtop -lp ligand.prmtop -y
../md_equilibrate_00*

Reading command-line arguments and input files...
Warning: Problem parsing L-J 6-12 parameters.
ptraj found! Using /home/bioinfp/jang/apps/amber11/bin/ptraj
sander found! Using /apps11/bioinfp/amber10+/bin/sander for GB calculations
Warning: Decomposition is only automated if I guess the ligand and receptor
         masks! I will write skeleton mdin files which you must edit. Re-run
         MMPBSA.py with -use-mdins, or allow me to guess the masks.

4) MMPBSA.py running sander
===========================
MMPBSA -i mmpbsa_decomp.in -cp complex_unsolvated.prmtop -sp
../topology.top -rp receptor.prmtop -lp ligand.prmtop -use-mdins -y
../md_equilibrate_00*

Reading command-line arguments and input files...
Warning: Problem parsing L-J 6-12 parameters.
ptraj found! Using /home/bioinfp/jang/apps/amber11/bin/ptraj
sander found! Using /apps11/bioinfp/amber10+/bin/sander for GB calculations
Preparing trajectories for simulation...
20 frames were read in and processed by ptraj for use in calculation.

Beginning GB calculations with sander...
  calculating complex contribution...
Error: sander error during GB calculations!
NOTE: All files have been retained for debugging purposes. Type
MMPBSA.py --clean to erase these files.

* Error from _MMPBSA_complex_gb.mdout:

> rfree: Error decoding variable 2 2 from:
>RES EDIT
>
> this indicates that your input contains
>
> incorrect information
>
> field 2 was supposed to
>
> have a (1=character, 2=integer, 3=decimal) value

* Corresponding _MMPBSA_gb_decomp_com.mdin (why don't we have a
constant name prefix for in and out files?)

> File generated by MMPBSA.py
> &cntrl
> nsnb=99999, ntb=0, surften=0.0072,
> extdiel=78.3, ncyc=0, cut=999.0,
> gbsa=2, imin=5, idecomp=1, igb=5,
> /
> Residues considered as REC
> RRES 107 311
> END
> Residues considered as LIG
> LRES 1 106,312 355
> END
> Residues to print
> RES EDIT
> END
> END

Is this intended behavior by MMPBSA.py? Most probably the `EDIT` could
have been set by MMPBSA.py automatically to the entire residue range (as
I did not specify `print_res` in the MMPBSA input file). After doing
this manually, sander/MMPBSA.py runs smoothly.

Jan-Philip

--
Jan-Philip Gehrcke
PhD student