Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA.MPI: Entropy

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 11:28:14 -0400

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM, George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com> wrote:

> Just a small clarification.
>
> The part "In this case, you specified 5 to 45 via increments of 5 (9 frames
> total)" is well understood.
>
> However, I was referring to a separate run for which I set the
> nmstartframe=5 and the nmendframe=200 with nminterval=10.
>
> I was expecting that the calculation would be performed on 40 frames
> instead of the 5 that is reported. This is what is confusing me.

Ah. Are you using 8 processors? That would explain why the master is only
computing 5 (9 processors would give you the same result). The number of
frames that the master is computing is *not* the total number of frames
(unless you're only using 1 processor in the MPI version).

> A second broader question is whether it is legitimate to draw the first 50
> frames for each of the 5 trajectories for the calculation. Doesn't this give
> biased sampling?

Depends on your trajectories. If consecutive snapshots are correlated, then
certainly. If not, it's probably OK.

HTH,
Jason

> Thanks for the patience and explanations
>
> George
>
> On Oct 4, 2011, at 3:47 PM, Jason Swails wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM, George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Jason,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the explanation. There's a second point that I'd like to
> clarify
> >> - if possible.
> >>
> >> My 10ns trajectory is made up of 5 individual trajectories of 2ns and
> 200
> >> frames each.
> >>
> >> If I use an input file such as the one below
> >>
> >> &general
> >> endframe=50, keep_files=2,
> >> /
> >> &nmode
> >> nmstartframe=5, nmendframe=45,
> >> nminterval=5, nmode_igb=1, nmode_istrng=0.1,
> >> /
> >>
> >> I get
> >>
> >> Calculations performed using 250 frames.
> >>
> >> Setting the endframe=200 and
> >> nmstartframe=5, nmendframe=200,
> >> nminterval=10
> >>
> >> I get "Master thread is calculating normal modes for 5 frames".
> >>
> >> It's a bit esoteric for me the way the program works out the number of
> >> frames. Any explanation would be most welcome.
> >>

> > I agree. It applies "startframe, endframe, interval" to all of the
> > trajectories for the solvation free energy terms. That is, if you have 5
> > total trajectories, then your input file will draw the first 50 frames of
> > each one (for 250 total). Note that this will change with the new
> version
> > to behave more like you expect (it will draw the first 50 frames of the
> sum
> > of all trajectories, leading to 50 frames total).
> >
> > For normal mode calculations, the nmstartframe, nmendframe, and
> nminterval
> > are applied to the _MMPBSA_complex.mdcrd (or _MMPBSA_complex.nc) file,
> since
> > it's assumed you'd only ever want to do nmode calculations on a subset of
> > the frames you do all other calculation types on. In this case, you
> > specified 5 to 45 via increments of 5 (9 frames total).
> >
> > Afterwards, it says that the master thread is calculating normal modes
> for 5
> > frames, which tells me that you're using 2 processors. In this case, it
> > splits up the frames as evenly as possible, but you can't divide 9 frames
> > evenly between 2 processors, so the master gets 5 and the other one gets
> [...]

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate
352-392-4032