Re: [AMBER] Energetic analysis with MMPBSA.py considering just one molecule ?

From: Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 05:13:21 +0200

Yes I know about the sander.APBS possibility but I have not installed it
yet.

Regarding GB/Amber PB salt sensitivity, it is clear that this should be
system dependent as it is in reality. I know, bulk concentration 0.1 M of
NaCl
  is not so much and will probably not influence much absolute free energy
(free energy of binding) in case of neutral
molecules but has indeed significantly stronger impact in case of charged
molecules because then
relevant counter ions are going from the bulk solvent to the very close
proximity of that
charged molecule/s and screen their surface charges or in other words
change locally
dielectric constant of solvent and indeed in case of such charged solutes
this salt effect should
significantly decrease the enthalpy (make it "more negative" or in anothe
words increase the absolute value) as the positive
contribution arising from interactions of the same charges on charged
molecule is decreased
(by screening effect). I really don't know how much realistically are
these effects implemented in GB/PB
methods but to me the actual response of Amber implementation of GB model
seems to be more
realistic that response of Amber implementation of linear PB (practically
zero response).
To be frank I didn't care much about saltcon/istrng parameters in the past
having
there their default values ( 0 in mm_pbsa.pl). So in fact I assumed here
just structural
effects (on simulated standalone molecules, complexes) which was created
during MD run due to
interaction of ions with the solute/s. But recently I simulated and
analysed several
complexes (DNA + several dendrimers (differently positively
charged/uncharged)). I
wanted to compare stability of final clusters obtained in 40ns runs by
estimate
the energy necessary to destroy the final molecular cluster (
G(cluster)-SUM{Gi} where i is going
over all molecules from which final cluster is composed ).

In case of unmodified PPI dendrimers (so fully charged +32) I have
obtained flexible cluster where
several of these molecules was attached to the DNA in chain manner like
this:

     O;
      ;O
     O;
      ;
     O;
     ;
     ;
      ;O
      ;
      O;

where ";" stands for parts of DNA and "O" are dendrimers.

So flexible but pretty stable complex. After GB/PB analysis with usual
saltcon/istrng=0 setting I have obtained
huge positive numbers for the total cluster binding energy around
1000kcal/mol suggesting that this cluster
should never be created. So probably for pure water this prediction is
right and Dendrimer/DNA (+/-) interactions
might not overcome DEN/DEN (+/+) interactions/repulsions. But that stable
complex was obtained from MD
simulation with 0.15 M NaCl in the box. So I got the idea to adjust
properly this time also saltcon/istrng
parameters which didn't changed PB result but from GB I have obtained nice
dH = -349kcal/mol and together
with dS I have obtained dG=-78 kcal/mol in very good context with the
other clusters.
So it seems to me that in case of charged molecules the proper setting of
saltcon/istrng parameters is important
and thanks to above experience I started to believe a bit more to GB
however in theory PB should be more realistic model.
OK maybe GB overestimate the salt effect but again speaking about DELTAS
it may provide more realistic results.
On the other hand Amber implementation of linear PB has really almost zero
sensitivity to relevant salt parameter (istrng) within
the given range (around 0.1) which does not reflect the reality in some
specific cases (strongly charged solutes).
If I have time I would really compare salt sensitivity of Amber native PB
solver with that APBS ...

I also found very interesting notice in AmberTools.pdb

---------------AmberTools.pdf--page-158------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The salt term in the PB equation can be linearized when the Boltzmann
factor is close to zero.
However, the approximation apparently does not hold in highly charged
systems.
Thus, it is recommended that the full nonlinear PB equation solvers be
used in such systems.

So first of all I will start to experiment with nonlinear Amber PB solver
to see the effect.

Anyway if you have meanwhile any relevant response from your PB/GB
colleagues, I would be grateful for them as well.

Below is my table where I added also the case of 1M concentration.

   Best wishes,

       Marek

use_sander=0

#GB