Re: [AMBER] Survey Request - 10 minutes of your time please to help future AMBER development (http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=f7d3e68a3e1b44841571e6ab4ce2f021)

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:38:08 -0700

Hi Jan-Philip,

> I don't know how to answer the first question:
>
> 1) Total CPU count across all workstations/desktops (CPUs only, not
> sockets) *
> 2) Total core count across all workstations/desktops *
>
> >From both questions, it looks like CPU count in question (1) should
> not
> be the socket number and not be the core count -- then, what is it? Do
> you just mean we should not count empty sockets :-)? And, just to be
> sure about question (2), we're talking about real cores and
> correspondingly ignore hyperthreading, yes?

Yes, apologies for this. I asked NVIDIA to change that confusing language
several times but it got left in there. What it means is please estimate the
count of the total number of physical CPUs in the all the machines (not the
cores) and yes not empty sockets but I very much doubt many people paid for
expensive dual socket motherboards but then didn't buy the extra CPU. Maybe
only if they ordered from Dell. ;-)

For the second question please enter the total number of cores so
essentially numbers of CPUs x cores per cpu.

Estimates are fine for all these numbers and if you don't know please just
put Don't Know. I am much more interested in responses to the later
questions regarding requested features in the GPU code etc than I am with
how many cores etc people have access to.

Thank you,

All the best
Ross

/\