Re: [AMBER] ptraj: problem with distance and multi-atom masks

From: Marc van der Kamp <marcvanderkamp.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:32:34 +0100

Hi Dan,

Many thanks for testing this for me.
I should have given more detail as to where the trajectory I used
(test.mdcrd) comes from.
I'm trying to analyze a trajectory produced by NAMD with the CHARMM
force-field, so originally in the .dcd format. I don't have a prmtop for
this system. Instead, I use a pdb file that I created from the original .psf
file.
I first tried reading in the .dcd file, and got the same problems (nan
values for all distance output with multiple atoms in the masks). For
testing, I generated test.mdcrd, with only the first 10 frames from the .dcd
file.

I've now visualized test.mdcrd in VMD, by first reading in the .pdb file I
used for the topology, and then test.mdcrd as "AMBER coordinates" (so
without box info). I don't see any problems in the visualization, i.e. all
atoms positions/bonds look normal.

The puzzling thing for me is that the single atom-atom distance works fine
(either when I read in the .dcd file or the test.mdcrd file), i.e. ptraj
reports the correct distance, whereas any distance with multiple atoms in
one or both of the masks doesn't (i.e. ptraj reports nan).
So, for example, the following both work fine:

distance test1 out test1.dat :82.CA :218.CA
distance test2 out test2.dat :82.N :218.CA

It therefore appears that the coordinates (at least of these three atoms)
are read in and 'understood' correctly by ptraj.
But this gives me "nan" in test3.dat:

distance test3 out test3.dat :82.CA,N :218.CA

I'm happy to send you my test.mdcrd and the pdb I used for the topology
etc., if you would be willing to look into it more.

Many thanks in advance,
Marc