[AMBER] Problems with parsing .PSF files by ptraj

From: Marc van der Kamp <marcvanderkamp.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:14:02 +0100

Hi all,

This is more or less a follow up of my emails yesterday, under the topic
"X-PLOR formatted .psf in CHAMBER".
I've found a couple of issues with how ptraj deals with .PSF files. The .PSF
files I've noticed this with were generated by VMD (X-PLOR format), but I
think issue 2 may also be present with CHARMM .PSF files.

1) If the first line of the .PSF file is only "PSF" (i.e. no second string),
ptraj doesn't recognize it as a PSF file.
This could be an easy fix of course, but it could be argued that you don't
want to fix it, as this may not be a properly formatted PSF file; (more
current versions of) CHARMM don't write PSF files with only "PSF" as the
first line.

2) When the atom section (!NATOM) starts with multiple segments with only 1
residue per segment, i.e. the residue numbers are 1, ptraj interprets this
as 1 residue: the atoms are all preserved, but are given the residue name of
the first residue in the PSF (and residue number 1).
This is a more serious issue, IMO, and would be worth fixing, perhaps.

That's it for now,
Marc