Re: [AMBER] Compiling Amber11 on Blue Gene/P

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:20:45 -0700

Hi Garo,

We got close to getting everything working with XLF90 and AMBERTools
1.5/Amber11 for Power 7 but then IBM pulled out of the Blue Waters project.
I can try to dig out the notes and you can see if you can convert it over to
BlueGene/P. The last BlueGene I had access to was a BlueGene/L in AMBER 10
days and the performance was so bad it wasn't worth the effort to keep
trying to update all the configure scripts for the cross compiling needed
etc. Blue Gene was like IBM tried their hardest to break existing configure
/ build approaches so I pretty much gave up on it.

You can look for the PMEMD instructions for AMBER 9 here:
http://ambermd.org/config.bgl.html

One could probably hack up a PMEMD 11 build for BlueGene/P from these. Note
you would have to use the configure.advanced script in the PMEMD directory
rather than the AMBERTools configure script. Since PMEMD is the only code
worth running on BlueGene/P anyway, not building AMBERTools or sander should
be too much of an issue.

All the best
Ross