Re: [AMBER] Fwd: false positive on too large QM region?

From: Brian Radak <radak004.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:59:53 -0400

Just to informally close out this discussion:

The problem I encountered seems to be a function of the choice of box shape,
in as much as I repeated the same type of simulations (literally the same
input files, just different parm7's) in a cube as opposed to a rhombic
dodecahedron and have not yet observed any such errors (108 independent 500
ps simulations so far).

Without fully understanding the PBC code in sander or sqm, I will offer the
following hypothesis (if anyone can offer further insight, please do).
Since non-orthorhombic and non-truncated octahedral PBCs in AMBER are
treated as triclinic shapes, the image wrapping does not necessarily supply
the same advantages as in the "familiar" polyhedron forms. More
specifically, the largest inscribe-able sphere may be smaller in triclinic
coordinates and the QM region may see different images than if the
simulation were done in "familiar" coordinates.

Brian