Re: [AMBER] Sufficient CPU cores/GPU ratio ?

From: <peter.stauffert.boehringer-ingelheim.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:57:29 +0200

Hi Ross,

to run GPUs it is essential to put them in PCI-E X16 slots.
On a normal motherboard there are only 1 or 2 PCI-E X16 slots available, but
there are some special motherboards on the market with additional chip sets,
which supply more PCI-E X16 slots.
We did some benchmarks on our HP SL390 system.
This node is equipped with an additional chipset and supplies 4 PCI-E X16
slots, one for the onboard QDR Infiniband and the other to be used by 3 GPUs.
The performance degration was less than 2% when we ran 3 separated GPU jobs
and one non-GPU pmemd.MPI with 8 cores in parallel on this dual-CPU 6-core
system. In principal, it is a good idea, not to use all cores, normally
core-1 handles all interrupts.
On our system, the GPU utilization was only 90% but the CPU runs with 100%,
so using faster CPUs (with higher clock rate than our 2.67 GHz CPUs) may be
useful.

All the best

Peter

Dr. Peter Stauffert
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH & Co. KG