Re: [AMBER] again GLYCAM06 + 99SB + GAFF ?

From: Yun Shi <yunshi09.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:32:47 -0700

Hi Francois,

I am worried since I saw no atom names information in the gaussian input
file, which I used to do geometry optimization. I guess I should construct
the gaussian input file from the xxx.pdb file generated by Ante_R.E.D., then
do my geometry optimization, then submit the gaussian out file together with
xxx.p2n for charge derivation. So would there be any problem by doing so?

In addition, I have only two major conformations for my small test molecule
after QM geometry optimizations. So I wonder if I could just construct a
merged p2n file with pdb coordinates from the two major QM-optimized
conformers? I don't quite understand why R.E.D. server need QM optimization
output file.

Looking through the 'q4md-CD' paper, I feel it kind of counter-intuitive to
mix GLYCAM04 geometrical parameters with atomic charges from 'Amber'
strategy, which however, reproduced experimental data so well. But now I
feel like that the RESP charges come hand-in-hand with the scaling factor,
and I guess using the amber scaling factors is the major reason that your
charge-derivation approach is successful.

Since my molecule (the thio-glycosidic part) has no reference to look for
experimental data to compare, what would be a simple experiment to carry out
to validate my parameters? Or just try fitting them to QM calculations?

By the way, what do you mean by " 'recompute' key dihedrals" when taking
parameters from GAFF? And which are key dihedrals?

Thanks,

Yun