Re: [AMBER] how to fill in missing parameters in tleap?

From: Astrid Maaß <astrid.maass.scai.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:11:15 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Yun,

some dihedral torsions have a more complicated profile than a single cosine term alone could cover (else there is no point in using e.g. Ryckaert-Bellemans-potential). So In order to model a complicated dihedral torsion properly sometimes two or three terms with different dihedral periodicities are required. In that case the ff.dat shows entries with a negative sign at the periodicity value to prompt you/the parser to regard the next line as an additional contribution to the proper dihedral energy of this particular rotatable bond. The rdparm output apparently uses the "E" in front of the regular information for the same purpose. Consequently, the atoms involved appear repeatedly -- this does not imply the constants before are overridden, instead they are added to the ones in the line before.

I could not reproduce your troubles in creating top/crd-files with a modified force field version. With your file (mono.pdb) as input I can create prmtop + inpcrd files for the complete compound with hydrogens. Using GLYCAM_06c.dat, this gives me a topology file equivalent to mono.prmtop (except for the OS-CG-OS-CG torsions, where values apparently have been updated compared to the version you used ). I then made a copy of GLYCAM_06c.dat (attached as a reference) and changed the parameters for OH-CG-CG-OH according to our previous thoughts (glycam_phase_shift.dat, attached) and can perfectly well create a top-file (with the leapin file attached). Consequently I can create two variants of gromacs-topology files which differ in the RB-coefficients for one single dihedral type (occurring two times) with a plenty error messages, but nothing fatal. The resulting files appear formally correct.

To illustrate the consequences of using negative force constants in the input-ff.dat I attached the diagram dihedral_profiles.eps, created with gpt_in (look there for the equations and force constants used). Admittedly the effect of the bug in amb2gmx.pl is not too dramatic in this case -- but it was a small force constant of 0.1 kcal in this example, for other torsions this issue may have more impact.

Hope that helps

 Astrid