Re: [AMBER] Fwd: false positive on too large QM region?

From: Brian Radak <radak004.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 14:52:43 -0400

That has been my feeling exactly whenever I encounter this problem (I'm in
the dozens of systems now); nothing seems out of place at all. In fact I am
wondering if a viable solution isn't just to comment out the SANDER BOMB
call in the code and recompile (the Office Space approach to problem
solving, if you will).

The "non-standard" options are well tested modifications to the sqm module
done by our group and Case group. The first one just changes the hard coded
AM1 parameters to the SRP I am using. Also, QM/MM MD won't always conserve
energy (as well as one might like) unless qmmm_switch is used (we've done ns
scale simulations to test that). They shouldn't affect the size extent of
the system for any reason that I know of, but I'll give it a shot.

I did run the system without TI options and got the identical crash (at
least in the lambda = 0 case the forces were all QM/MM anyway).

Why would a Berendsen thermostat help here (other than hiding energy
conservation problems)? On the time scales of the error the dynamics are
NVE, which would seem simpler to me.

I feel like the problem must have *something* to do with imaging, but I
don't know when or why. Could there be something slightly naive in the
minimum image convention used in the QM region? Does it properly account
for non-cubic boundary conditions? Perhaps this is my fault for not knowing
more about the PBCs I chose...

Brian