Re: [AMBER] libmkl_ia32.a missing from MKL em64t

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 15:57:56 -0400

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011, Aaron Greenwood wrote:

> I have had many problems in my attempts to compile amber 11.
>
> This is my latest configure command:
> ./configure -opteron -oldmkl -nopython intel
>
> The library /opt/intel/mkl/9.1/lib/em64t/libmkl_ia32 does not exist and
> this is causing an error when I attempt to compile amber 11.
>
> The ld error message message is:
> ld: /opt/intel/mkl/9.1/lib/em64t/libmkl_ia32.a: No such file or directory.
>
> I created a link to /opt/intel/mkl/9.1/lib/32/libmkl_ia32.a in the em64t
> directory. AmberTools compiled and installed, BUT there were multiple
> warnings about the libmkl_ia32 being the wrong architecture.
>
> Can Amber 11 be compiled for x86_64 architecture without using the
> libmkl_ia32.a library.

Three ideas:

1. Just unset your MKL_HOME variable, so you don't use MKL at all. The
performance advantage of MKL is really pretty small, and if all you have are
old MKL libraries, it may be easily more trouble than it is worth to try to
fix things.

2. Read the documentation from intel on how to compile x86_64 codes with MKL
version 9, then manually edit your config.h file to comply with such
information. It seems very likely that you don't want to use libmkl_ia32.a.
If you figure it out, post the solution -- it really looks like the -oldmkl
option in configure may be broken.

3. Maybe someone on the list still uses MKL version 9, and can chime in about
what to do.

....good luck....dac