Re: [AMBER] How to Generate Structure with Correct Valence for an Unnatural Amino Acid in Position 1

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 15:41:32 -0400

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011, George A. Khoury wrote:

> Upon looking at the structure, I noticed that my N-terminus has only 1
> hydrogen instead of the usual 3. It is my understanding that in the natural
> amino acids a residue at the N-terminus (i.e. Ala) will be replaced by a
> NAla, which will have the proper valence for the N-terminus.

The reason that this happens for natural amino acids is that Amber has
pre-calculated residues (called NALA, etc.), and a procedure for automatically
using those for the first residue of a chain (see the standard leaprc files).

If you want an NH3+ group for you non-standard aa, you will have to build such
a residue yourself. As Francois pointed out, R.E.D. offers one way to do
this.

....dac