Re: [AMBER] results from independent simulations

From: Simon Becker <simon.becker.uni-konstanz.de>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 11:58:54 +0200

Am 07.09.2011 11:17, schrieb Jason Swails:

> On Sep 6, 2011, at 8:37 PM, "Wu Xu"<wxx6941.louisiana.edu> wrote:
>
>> Dear Amber developers and users,
>>

>> I am doing MD simulation on three structures. The initial structures are
>> from pdb files, which are 1KBH, 2C52 and 2KKJ.
>>

>> I performed 1-step minimization, 7-step of heating and 50-ns equilibration
>> (5 ns each equilibration) by following the tutorial B3 using Amber 11 (2
>> nodes and 8 processors/node for equilibration).
>>

>> And then, I independently repeated the exact simulation procedure.
>>

>> Two structures with the lowest energy of 2C52 from the first run and
>> second run are identical. I also obtained the identical structures with
>> the lowest energy for 2KKJ. In contrast, two runs of 1KBH give me two
>> different structures.
>>

>> My question, should we expect the identical results for two independent
>> simulation with the same procedure?
> No. Simulations are chaotic and a protein's accessible phase space is far too large to be completely sampled by a simulation on the time scales even of the DE Shaw group.

.wu: the chaotic nature of md simulation wich jason stated is definitely
true however I have also observed what you described. often the final
structures of identical unrestrained runs, even quite long ones beyond
50ns, were virtually identical; diff"ing the two rst or pdb files
resulted in nothing. You can overcome this using different random seeds
(ig in the cntrl section).

.jason: the shaw group: what are you referring to? is there a
publication I missed (again)? please let me know.

regards
simon

--
Simon Becker