Re: [AMBER] Calculation of Force during SMD

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:09:02 -0400

not sure what are looking at exactly but..

the harmonc potential used to 'pull' is k*(x-x_eq)^2

it is possible that it is k/2 instead, but that is easy to check.

Anyways, the force is -2k*(x-x_x0)= -dV/dx

so, if you look is hte output file for x_0 (where the center of the
harmonic potential should be, and x, where it is, compute the force as
described above.

So, what is it that you cannot reproduce ?
a.

On 8/31/11 7:04 PM, Sai Kumar Ramadugu wrote:
> Dear All,
> How is the force calculated during the simulated molecular dynamics?
> I'm running SMD in conjunction with Jarzynski relationship.
> The dist_vs_t file gives four columns. I was trying to the equation given by
> Klaus Schulten's PNAS article referred in AMBER 11 manual to calculate the
> force. But I cannot reproduce the force column using
> x0(t) and x and v=0.04 angstrom/ps and time step 0.002 ps.
> Any suggestions will be helpful.
>
> Thanks and regards
> Sai

                            Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
                                  Professor
                Quantum Theory Project, Department of Chemistry
                            University of Florida
                              roitberg.ufl.edu