Re: [AMBER] antechamber error

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:19:32 -0400

Hi,

This behavior has been observed before, and I believe it's because SQM
has a more strict convergence criterion compared to the older MOPAC.
From the AmberTools manual:

"By default, the AM1 Mulliken charges that are required for the
AM1-BCC procedure are
computed using the sqm program, with the following keyword (which is
placed inside the
&qmmm namelist):
qm_theory=’AM1’, grms_tol=0.0002, tight_p_conv=1, scfconv=1.d-10,
For some molecules, especially if they have bad starting geometries,
convergence to these
tight criteria may not be obtained. If you have trouble, examine the
sqm.out file, and try
changing scfconv to 1.d-8 and/or tight_p_conv to 0. You may also need
to increase the
value of grms_tol. You can use the -ek flag to antechamber to change
these, or just
manually edit the sqm.in file. But be aware that there may be something
“wrong” with
your molecule if these problems arise; the acdoctor program may help."

Hope this is helpful.

-Dan