Re: [AMBER] Fwd: Is it possible to do REMD for a 12000 atom molecule?

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:04:15 -0400

Dear Dmitry

What you suggest is possible and people have called that serial exchange
I think, or even serial tempering, depending on he literature. What you
are missing here (I think) is that you would have ONE replica traversing
temperature space. Of course, given infinite time it works, but at each
exchange point you get to move to the next higher or lower temperature.
What replica exchange (as usually understood) has are N replicas doing
this at the same time. So, you can exchange between T1 and T2 and AT THE
SAME TIME exchange between T10 and T11 for instance. That added
dimension is crucial for things to work well.

Adrian

--
                            Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
                                  Professor