Re: [AMBER] Using iwrap with harmonic restraints

From: Ozen, Aysegul <Aysegul.Ozen.umassmed.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:27:31 -0400

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the suggestion.

>>> Try explicitly setting nscm=0 in the cntrl namelist and see if this helps. You can't use nscm with langevin and restraints. NSCM 'should' be set to zero automatically if you use restraints but I am not sure if this is in AMBER 11 or not and the default for NSCM is 1000.

Following your suggestion, I just started another run with explicitly setting nscm=0 just to see if it works and it's still running (you’re right, the default is 1000 in Amber 10). But I'm not optimistic because earlier, I had set up another run that’s just 100 steps of dt=0.002. Because the default was nscm=1000, in a 100 step simulation, COM shouldn’t have moved (correct?), yet restart messed up the restraint energies (I attached the mdout files for the 1st and 2nd rsts). Also as I mentioned, an uninterrupted 1 ns run (500000 steps of dt=0.002 again with the default nscm=1000) seemed just fine in terms of both coordinates and energies and if nscm=1000 is what's messing things up, then why wouldn't it do so in a 500000 step-run?

>>> If you point the reference coordinates to the previous restart file in each case (i.e. always setting refc to the same a -c) then does it work? - I know there have been issues with use restraints with NPT simulations where the box could change size and this is dealt with correctly if you keep using the original structure for the restraints.

REFC is the same equilibrated structure in each restart. So that shouldn't be the problem in this case.

Thanks!
Aysegul