Re: [AMBER] How to calculate the electrostatic contribution to "solvation free energy"?

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:48:48 +0200

Big thanks for your response, Jason! Comments below.

On 08/11/2011 12:55 AM, Jason Swails wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'll do what I can to try and explain what's going on here.
>
> The free energy of solvation is the difference in the energy that is
> required to immerse a substance in a solvent of a given dielectric constant.
> Because the free energy is a state function, we can construct any
> thermodynamic pathway we want to get from our substance in air (or vacuum,
> with dielectric constant = 1) to solution (in solvent, with dielectric
> constant = X, which is ~80 for water). The way that's typically chosen is
> to create a given charge distribution (in the case of MM, that's the
> arrangement of point charges in a given conformation of your system) in the
> electric potential that's present in both environments (air and water, for
> instance). The difference between these 2 potentials is often referred to
> as the reaction field potential. Once you have the reaction field
> potential, you can find the free energy of solvation via the equation:
>
> Delta_G = 1/2 Integral( rho(X) * phi(X) dX)
> [[ This is the 'magical equation' you were looking for. It comes from basic
> electrostatics, which is probably why it isn't mentioned often -- Energy =
> potential * charge summed over a continuous distribution, at its most basic.
> It's certainly easy to get lost here when all you're doing is looking
> through literature that assumes this is common knowledge and the buck stops
> with calculating the reaction field ;) ]]
>
> Here, rho(X) is your charge distribution (just point charges here) and
> phi(X) is this reaction field potential I described above, dependent on
> atomic positions and integrated over all space. (The 1/2 is to account for
> double-counting in the double sum/integral). Since we know the charge
> distribution, the problem now becomes that we need to solve for the reaction
> field potential, where we solve for the electrostatic potential in both
> environments. The PBE is the equation that we use to solve for this
> potential.

Thanks, let me summarize:

1) Calculate phi_vac(x) by solving PBE with rho(x) and epsilon_vac

2) Calculate phi_sol(x) by solving PBE with rho(x) and epsilon_sol

3) Take the difference of phi_vac(x) and phi_sol(x) to get phi_reaction(x).

4) Calculate the energy E of rho(x) in the reaction field potential.

E is then considered to be the electrostatic contribution to solvation
free energy.

Now, I still have to think/read about what this reaction field potential
means and why E is the energy we are looking for. It's still a bit
paradox for me that rho(x) is placed into a potential that was
calculated by using rho(x).

As you've pointed out, the electrostatic potential itself
> depends on the charge distribution (which doesn't change in our MM framework
> since everything's a fixed point charge; ignoring polarizable force fields,
> but will affect the electron density in a QM framework if taken into account
> properly). Therein lies the difficulty (solving the PBE). The generalized
> Born approximation is an approximation based on a "trivial" solution to the
> PBE that attempts to provide an efficient, analytic way of calculating the
> solvation free energy. Good references I think are Chris Cramer's book and
> Andrew Leach's book, as this is only a very, very broad overview.
>
> The problem with just adding up pairwise potentials, oversimplified, is that
> it neglects any screening effects caused by a dielectric solvent. Because
> solvent partial charges can react to solute partial charges, electrostatic
> effects are screened compared to what they'd be in vacuum (this is the
> effect of a dielectric).

While adding up pairwise coulomb energies, screening effects could be
included by using a (maybe distance dependent) dielectric constant,
right? So that does not convince me :-) Any other important reason, why
the result of that sum is not what we are looking for?