[AMBER] About Charge Assigning Method using Gaff

From: Bin Wu <wubin2002.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:37:05 -0400

Dear Amber users

I have a question about charge assigning method. It is my understanding that
AmberTools has provided several partial charge assigning method including
resp, gasteiger, bcc and etc. I wonder which charge method is mostly
compatible with GAFF force field. BTW, I intend to simulate dendrimer
(Poly(amido
amine)) under neutral and protonated conditions (i.e. with NH3+ groups
present.).

I tried to use bcc once (under antechamber). It works very well at low
generations, which has about 282 electrons. However, as the generation goes
higher, e.g. at generation 1 which possesses about 778 electrons, the
antechamber kept running and did not seem to stop after 14 hours. At even
higher generations, I directly get an error of "Segmentation fault" when I
tried to invoke antechamber.

Another question would be will these charge method make qualitative changes
on the simulation results ? For instance, will the characteristic quantities
like radius of gyration depend sensitively on the charge assignment method
while I am using the GAFF force field?

Any comments and suggestion would be highly appreciated!

Thank you very much.

Bin