Re: [AMBER] loadPdb segmentation fault

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 00:38:22 -0400

So I've found your problem (but I wasn't about to dig that deep through the
tleap code to find out why it was triggering a segfault, suffice it to say
it appears as though the same memory was trying to be allocated twice).

Your seh.library file had a number of issues with it. The worst one, I
think, is that a specific bond was defined 3 times in connectivity table:

!entry.SEH.unit.connectivity table int atom1x int atom2x int flags
 1 8 1
 1 2 1
 2 9 1
 2 5 1
 2 3 1
 3 7 1
 3 4 1
 3 4 1
 3 4 1
 5 10 1
 5 11 1
 5 6 1
 6 12 1
 7 13 1

(It is defining the bond between atoms 3 and 4 three times). Furthermore, a
couple indices were off as well (despite the fact that it's a 1-residue
unit, SEH was assigned as the 12th residue of that unit, meaning it had no
residue 1 - 11).

This leads me to question where you got this library file from and how you
generated it. There is a problem with whatever program you used to generate
your library file. I've attached the version that I modified (seh.mod.off),
which avoids the segfault. You can take a look at the differences between
your file and this file if you're curious, but here's the output I get now
(keeping in mind that you're missing an frcmod file that has the additional
parameters missing in the existing ff99SBildn force field).

Jason-Swailss-MacBook-Pro:Downloads swails$ tleap -f leaprc.ff99SBildn
-I: Adding /Users/swails/amber/dat/leap/prep to search path.
-I: Adding /Users/swails/amber/dat/leap/lib to search path.
-I: Adding /Users/swails/amber/dat/leap/parm to search path.
-I: Adding /Users/swails/amber/dat/leap/cmd to search path.
-f: Source leaprc.ff99SBildn.

Welcome to LEaP!
(no leaprc in search path)
Sourcing: /Users/swails/amber/dat/leap/cmd/leaprc.ff99SBildn
Log file: ./leap.log
Reading title:
PARM99 for DNA,RNA,AA, organic molecules, TIP3P wat. Polariz.& LP
incl.02/04/99
Reading force field modification type file (frcmod)
Reading title:
Modification/update of parm99.dat (Hornak & Simmerling) + ILDN corrections
> loadoff seh.mod.off
> pep = loadPDB peptide.pdb
  total atoms in file: 173
> saveamberparm pep prmtop inpcrd
Checking Unit.
WARNING: The unperturbed charge of the unit: 1.000000 is not zero.

 -- ignoring the warning.

Building topology.
Building atom parameters.
Building bond parameters.
Building angle parameters.
Could not find angle parameter: OH - CT - HC
Could not find angle parameter: OH - CT - HC
Building proper torsion parameters.
Building improper torsion parameters.
 total 33 improper torsions applied
Building H-Bond parameters.
Parameter file was not saved.
> quit
    Quit

HTH,
Jason

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> and
>> > builds alongside amber10.
>> > If you have AmberTools 1.3, then it unpacks into an amber11/ directory,
>> but
>> > I don't think it can build with Amber11. In any case, it's unlikely
>> anybody
>> > is using this version. (since it was only ~6 months between 1.3 and 1.4
>> > releases IIRC)
>> > If you have AmberTools 1.4, then it unpacks into an amber11/ directory,
>> and
>> > it *can* build with Amber11. Furthermore, it has no
>> > $AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src/cpptraj/ directory or
>> $AMBERHOME/AT15_Amber11.py
>> > script.
>> > If you have AmberTools 1.5, then it unpacks into an amber11/ directory
>> and
>> > it *can* build with Amber11 as long as you run AT15_Amber11.py, and it
>> > *does* have a cpptraj directory. This is also the first release to
>> build
>> > mdgx by default, IIRC.
>> >
>> > If you're just trying to distinguish between AT 1.4 and AT 1.5, look for
>> the
>> > cpptraj and mmpbsa_py directories in $AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src and the
>> > AT15_Amber11.py script (these are only in AmberTools 1.5). (The easiest
>> > file to trace, though, is probably the configure file, if you know what
>> > look for).
>> >
>> > The only packages you can download right *now* are AmberTools 1.5 and
>> > AmberTools 1.2 (to build amber10).
>> >
>> > Looking at git logs, it appears as though Mengjuei fixed tleap's huge
>> > segfaulting issue (caused by 64-bit builds) ~6/1/2010. So it appears
>> that
>> > anything older than AmberTools 1.4 will experience frequent segfaults
>> with
>> > tleap.
>> >
>> > Perhaps we should add the AmberTools version to *something*? Each
>> package's
>> > Makefiles? Require each package to recognize a --version flag? The
>> master
>> > Makefile?
>> >
>> > Of course if you have the original tarball it says there.
>> >
>> > I don't know how helpful this is. (To Massimiliano, I suggest that you
>> > build your own AmberTools 1.5, since that's the package that will get
>> the
>> > most support. If something doesn't work in older versions, the
>> maintainer
>> > will probably just ask you to upgrade to see if the problem goes away,
>> > anyway).
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> > Jason

>> > --
>> > Jason M. Swails
>> > Quantum Theory Project,
>> > University of Florida
>> > Ph.D. Candidate
>> > 352-392-4032
>> >

>> --
>> Dr Massimiliano Porrini
>> Institute for Condensed Matter and Complex Systems

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate
352-392-4032