(wrong string) â…¡) ion

From: Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 01:56:24 +0200

Hi Rodrigo,

thanks a lot for this nice and relatively fresh article !
It seems, that they were inspired by Aqvist a little but instead of
using absolute hydration energies they used differences in hydration
energy between studied ions and reference one (here Zn) etc. (I will read
in detail later)

I compared their data with that 3 divalent cations already present in
parm99.dat file (Mg++, Ca++, Zn++) and
unfortunately I found relatively huge differences in well depths
(epsilons) - see below (in each case first line is from parm99, the second
line from
  "C. Satheesan Babu and Carmay Lim J. Phys. Chem. A. 2006, 110, 691-699"

             r_Vdw epsilon
MG 0.7926 0.8947 Mg2+ Aqvist JPC
1990,94,8021.(adapted)
Mg2+ 1.1826 0.0620

C0 1.7131 0.459789 Ca2+ Aqvist JPC
1990,94,8021.(adapted)
Ca2+ 1.8311 0.0278

Zn 1.10 0.0125 Zn2+, Merz,PAK, JACS,113,8262,(1991)
Zn2+ 0.8800 0.1830

However there is also this sentence in "C. Satheesan Babu and Carmay Lim
J. Phys. Chem. A. 2006, 110, 691-699"

"Since the parameters have been developed using the "conventional" PEF,
they can be easily integrated with
the widely used biomolecular force fields such as CHARMM or AMBER". which
seems to be in disagreement with
above reported comparison.

So to be frank I don't know now which parameters are more trustworthy for
Amber calculations. On one side I would like to believe
that "C. Satheesan Babu and Carmay Lim J. Phys. Chem. A. 2006, 110,
691-699" provides more accurate values then that already
present in parm99.dat file (adopted from cca 20 years old works) but in
this case I don't understand why that old parameters
was not already actualized. There has to be some reason why this old
values are still maintained in parm99.dat file. Just
to maintain compatibility of actual works with old simulation results
which included these ions ?

Any comments welcomed !

   Best wishes,

      Marek