Re: [AMBER] Solid surface simulation in Amber - the recommended approach ?

From: Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:53:55 +0200

Hi Peker,

If you are attempting to do such simulations in explicit solvent, I am
afraid (however I am not sure) that you cant't "get rid of periodic BC's".

Here is my approach, although I am really not sure if is the ideal one ...

Create "sufficiently big" surface (in my case cca 90 x 90 x 18 A)

Size should be "sufficient" to minimize influence of border-inhomogenities
as
you can not create infinite surface in Amber. Thickness should be also
sufficient
to not underestimate eventual ligand/surface interaction due to too thin
surface
representation.

Then I placed my ligand to central part of my surface

I placed cca 40A above the ligand the same surface with the same
side towards the ligand as in case of "bottom surface" so in fact
I simulated ligand inside the slit "sitting" on one of that two surfaces.

I decided to do this to have symmetric conditions from both sides of
ligand ( to decrease ligand interaction with image of the second side of
the surface )
as the thickness of water layer which you can put under your surface (to
decrease sufficiently interaction with vertical images) with ligand is
strongly
limited due to hardware speed limitations. If there is no HW limitations
you can simply
add sufficient layer of water above your ligand and that's it ...

But it depends, if your surface (and eventually also your ligand) do not
contains ions so the association with the ligand is just of "hydrophobic"
character you can in my opinion put under your ligand just cca 15-20A of
water as vertical images will almost not
interfere here with your original system.

Any other contributions to this topic are welcomed !

    Best,

       Marek

http://www.opera.com/mail/