Re: [AMBER] [q4md-fft] Re: Error While running RED III.4

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:09:36 -0600

\begin Computer_Advice

To echo (and emphasize) on Francois' remarks -- I would *strongly* suggest
against running any 'common' program as root. Therefore, DO NOT edit the
source code and comment out those lines (Francois recommended against this,
too). Linux is only secure because (generally) root does NOT partake in
everyday tasks.

Use root sparingly -- use it to install new software in / and /usr (via
apt-get, for instance) and to change ownership and permissions of files. If
you used root because you don't have write access to folders you were trying
to run it in, use root to change the owner of those files (or give yourself
read/write/execute permissions in those folders), then run RED as a normal
user.

All it takes is someone to write a program that changes your password or
creates an administrator account and sends some kind of notification to an
invisible 3rd party that now has full access to your computer. If you never
run programs as root, there is no risk. If this is executed as root, you're
in for a world of hurt.

\end Computer_Advice

All the best,
Jason

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM, FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org> wrote:

> Dear Hari Krishna,
>

> I am trying to calculate the force filed for my modified uridine base. I
>> have generated the P2N files according to the tutorial. While running the
>> RED perl program i got the following error message.
>> ---------------------------
>> * Welcome to R.E.D. III.4 *
>> RESP ESP charge Derive
>> http://q4md-forcefieldtools.**org/RED/<http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/RED/>
>>
>> CHARGE TYPE = RESP-A1
>> ---------------------------
>>
> [...]
>
> * ERROR: DO NOT RUN THIS SCRIPT AS ROOT !*
>>

> This is just to stop users, who wish to run R.E.D. a superuser/root.
>
> If you do want to use R.E.D. in the root login (I would not do that), you
> just need to comment the following lines in the source code:
>
> if($< == 0){
> print "\n\t\tERROR: DO NOT RUN THIS SCRIPT AS ROOT !\n\n";
> $check=0; Information();
> if($XRED eq "ON"){ print "\t\tPress Enter to exit.\n\n"; <STDIN>; }
> exit(0);
> }
>
> regards, Francois

Quantum Theory Project,