Re: [AMBER] RAM requirements

From: Dmitry Osolodkin <divanych.rambler.ru>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 22:01:29 +0400

Dear Bob,

Thank you for detailed responce.

On 05/27/2011 07:05 PM, Robert Duke wrote:
> You are talking about some really big system sizes here; I am guessing you
> would want to start with 128 nodes or more (non gpu code metric here; I
> really don't know about the gpu code - sorry to say).

We will definitely not use GPU code. Our first task is to make a
requirements specification for a supercomputer possible to perform such
simulation, especially RAM per CPU requirements. We'll start with large
number of nodes, but not extremely large -- maybe 1024. Are there any
recommendations about reasonable atom per CPU ratio? Do they depend on
the system size?

All the best,
Dmitry.

> Best wishes - Bob Duke
>
> (bottom line - the memory numbers at startup from the master are at best a
> wild and low guess, due to the adaptive nature of the code)

Dmitry Osolodkin
Researcher
Group of Computational Molecular Design
Department of Chemistry