Re: [AMBER] RAM requirements

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 00:01:19 -0400

I think pmemd outputs the number of allocated integers and floating point
numbers allocated for each simulation, so run a 0-step minimization and look
for those numbers.

Note that each thread, I believe, allocates about the same amount of memory
(a little bit more) than the only thread of a serial pmemd job. It has some
atom-ownership maps in addition to the normal data structures, but that's
~1/3 the size of just the coordinate, velocity, force, and old velocity
arrays (which leaves a relatively small imprint).

HTH,
Jason

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Dmitry Osolodkin <divanych.rambler.ru>wrote:

> Dear AMBER developers,
>
> we are going to perform a MD simulation for an extremely huge system
> (ca. 10 millions atoms, maybe twice more). How to calculate memory
> requirements per processor for such task? We'll probably use pmemd.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Dmitry
>
> --
> Dmitry Osolodkin.