Re: [AMBER] Test results for amber-cuda, single node, single GPU, Tesla C2070

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 22:28:59 -0700

Hi Paul,

Firstly let me caution you on running any GPU calculations with your version of AMBER until it has been fully patched. There are a number of bug fixes for the GPU code in addition to the MPI support and I would caution anyone who tried to use an earlier version.

> So I've successfully compiled the cuda variants with SDK 3.2: hybrid,
> mpi-hybrid, DPDP, and mpi-DPDP.
>
> A quick question because I've not fully (nor would I dare at the
> moment)
> delved into the CUDA code. What happens if I have two GPU devices but
> set
> the number of MPI processes to more than 2 (let's say 4); how is the
> work
> load divided and how is the GPU memory shared?
>
> What would be the optimal DO_PARALLEL setting given that I have a
> system
> with 16 CPU cores and 2x C2070s?

For the CPU code with 16 cores you should use 'mpirun -np 16' for the GPU code you should use 'mpirun -np 2' - That is you should specify 1 MPI thread per GPU present in the machine that you want to run on. See http://ambermd.org/gpus/ (read the whole page) for instructions on running in parallel. If you run more threads than you have GPUs you will run multiple instances on a single GPU and then be in for a whole world of hurt performance wise.

But please please please start from a clean copy of AMBER 11 and AMBERTools 1.5 and apply ALL the bugfixes before proceeding.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/
|\oss Walker

| Assistant Research Professor |
| San Diego Supercomputer Center |
| Adjunct Assistant Professor |
| Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry |
| University of California San Diego |
| NVIDIA Fellow |

Note: Electronic Mail is not secure, has no guarantee of delivery, may not be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues.