Re: [AMBER] Questions re: NEB on a large system

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 11:31:05 -0400

it sounds like this is a fairly ambitious application of NEB- not that it
won't work, but we don't really have a lot of experience with the kind of
things you're asking. I think you need to monitor the path (using some
geometric variables that you choose based perhaps on visual analysis of the
structure change) and see if it is varying during the annealing. You want
conditions that will allow sampling of alternate paths. Once again, this is
not an easy problem and NEB only provides the tool, you still need to do
things like check convergence and so on. Along those lines, I think that
generating paths with just the endpoints and again with some specific
intermediates can be a good way to see if the results are truly independent
of your initial guess at the path.

We apply NEB forces to everything that looks different between the
endpoints- but it tends to be easier to make sure the path is continuous in
all variables if you apply the springs to everything but solvent (and ions,
etc).

good luck!
carlos