Re: [AMBER] Restraining distance between a protein atom and a water of crystalization

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:34:14 -0400

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011, nicholus bhattacharjee wrote:

> Now the problem is that during equilibration i.e. MD I am unable to put
> larger force constant i.e. rk3>50 is not getting permission showing shake
> default. Now some of the results from the minimization is as bellow
>
> Force constant (rk3) Final distance of the restrained
> atoms
>
> 60 2.26
> 70 2.08
> 80 2.17
> 90 2.04
> 100 2.22
> 200 2.02
> 300 1.99
> 400 1.94
> 500 1.75
> 1000 1.83
> 5000 1.63

Seems to me that this is exactly what you should expect to see. For a force
constant of 60, the penalty for a 0.26 Ang violation is 60*(.26)**2 =
4kcal/mol. If there are other forces that are driving the distance to be
large (and it looks like there are), then this might represent a balance of
forces.

Amber distraints are not "hard walls", and are primarily intended for use with
MD. SHAKE failures at rk3=50 are surprising: try running with dt=0.001.

...dac