Re: [AMBER] Alanine scanning

From: Bill Miller III <brmilleriii.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:59:04 -0400

See comments below.

-Bill

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:50 AM, George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com> wrote:

> I'd appreciate any feedback on the following two questions:
>
> 1. Can one mutate more than one residue to alanine(s)?

mm_pbsa.pl can mutate more than one residue to alanine at a time. MMPBSA.py
will need to perform different calculations for each mutation.

> 2. Is it really essential that the pdb and topology files of the mutant be
> created prior to running the simulations? The reason I'm asking this is to
> ascertain whether one will have to re-run previous equilibration and
> production simulations.

When doing alanine scanning with MM-PBSA inside Amber the coordinates from
the original trajectory are simply modified to accommodate an alanine
residue instead of the original residue. No additional simulations are
performed by MM-PBSA. The reasoning behind making the pdb and topology files
prior to running the simulation is for consistency sake. In other words,
this is a suggested note to help the user be consistent in case prep files
are lost or deleted accidentally during the simulation.

> Many thanks in advance for your help
>
> George

Bill Miller III
Quantum Theory Project,