Re: [AMBER] Calculation of forces using steered MD

From: Barbault Florent <florent.barbault.univ-paris-diderot.fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:55:10 +0200

Hello everybody,

I have a basic question concerning SMD and PMF. What are the units for
the force and work printed in the output?

Regards
Florent

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:42:25 +0400
  Dmitry Nilov <nilovdm.gmail.com> wrote:
>> Reviewing corresponding literature, I have seen that
>> the authors, who have used AMBER, obtain the force-extension curve
>>by
>> differentiating the PMF curve.
>
> I will appreciate if you give a link to that paper.
>
>> However, it seems that the authors, who have
>> used other packages such as Gromacs and NAMD, usually obtain the
>> force-extension curve directly from SMD (i.e. the spring force
>>formula). I
>> don’t know that whether the different methods employed in AMBER and
>>the
>> other packages have leaded to this difference or not?
>
> Someone can correct the following. I suppose you try to compare
> results from atomic force microscopy experiment with SMD results.
>Thus
> you try to mimic AFM technique by SMD pulling. First of all you can
> try to compare directly observed forces and it is easy to do. If SMD
> force is similar to AFM force you won. If SMD force is much larger
> than AFM one I can conclude that SMD can not correctly reproduce the
> value of force, work and energy. If SMD force is not much larger
>than
> AFM one you can try to reconstruct PMF from multiple SMD pullings
> (through Jarzynski averaging) and to recalculate force from that
>PMF.
> In this way you try to subtract dissipative work thus you will get
>the
> lower force value.
>
>> I’m not sure that if
>> f=k*(x-x0) formula can be used to obtain a correct force-extension
>>curve in
>> AMBER?
>
>Force values f=2*rk2*(x-x0) are just printed in the third column of
> output dist_vs_ t file.
> Over the one MD step force value is constant.
>
>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Dmitry Nilov <nilovdm.gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, generally time scale of SMD is much shorter than time of
>>> experiment. Sо it can be difficult to compare the forces directly.
>>>
>>> Please note that rk2 parameter used in dist.RST file (from which
>>> restraint information will be read)  is not k but k/2 in relation to
>>> f=k*(x-x0) formula (i.e. k = 2*rk2).

>>> explained
>>>pulling
>>>obtained
>>>k*(x-x0)
>>> vs.
>>>curve
>>>time
>>> scale
>>>mean
>>> force
>>>PMF?

>>> --
>>> Dmitry Nilov,
>>> Faculty of Bioengineering and Bioinformatics,
>>> Lomonosov Moscow State University

>> --
>> Ali

> Dmitry Nilov,
>Faculty of Bioengineering and Bioinformatics,
> [...]

Dr Florent Barbault
Maitre de conferences / Assistant professor

Universite Paris Diderot
Laboratoire ITODYS
15 rue Jean de Baïf, bâtiment Lavoisier
75013 Paris FRANCE
http://florentbarbault.wordpress.com/
tel : (33) 01-57-27-88-50
e-mail : florent.barbault.univ-paris-diderot.fr