Re: [AMBER] How to apply restraint based on a reference structure?

From: Ilyas Yildirim <i-yildirim.northwestern.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:40:29 -0500 (CDT)

You can actually combine targetted MD with WHAM to get a free energy
profile of a system. The reaction coordinate will be, however, not a
physical quantity but the RMS deviation. Check out the following papers:

Noy et al., Theoretical study of large conformational transitions in
DNA: B <-> A conformational change in water and ethanol/water, NAR 35,
3330-3338, 2007.

Banavali and Roux, Free energy landscape of A-DNA to B-DNA conversion in
aqueous solution, JACS 127, 6866-6876, 2005.

You have to be careful if this method will be useful in your system. I do
not know how your system looks like, but if there are conformational
change - within - the molecule, I think targetted MD can be applied. I did
some test calculations on a simple monomer nucleic acid using 2 different
methods: 1) Umbrella sampling + WHAM, 2) Targetted MD + WHAM. Both
predicts the same free energy profiles. Read the papers I gave above, and
see if it will work on your system.

Best regards,

   Ilyas Yildirim, Ph.D.
   = Department of Chemistry - 2145 Sheridan Road =
   = Northwestern University - Evanston, IL 60208 =
   = Ryan Hall #4035 (Nano Building) - Ph.: (847)467-4986 =
   = http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~yildirim/ =