Re: [AMBER] Umbrella sampling

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 14:07:18 -0400

yes this is the sort of thing that you could address with umbrella sampling.
the key is not to define residues, but a pathway. You need to have an
idea of how to mathematically describe the process, and then umbrella
sampling can give the free energy along that process. the results are
only good if the pathway was defined well. if you pick a wrong path,
or wrong measure of the structure change, then the results may not be
meaningful.

nobody can tell you the "best" measure of opening. it will take
insight into your system and how it works. One suggestion would be to
sonsider using a distance or angle restraint, probably with centers of
mass defined by groups of atoms, rather than distance between
individual atoms.