Re: [AMBER] Amber CUDA calcualtion on GeForce GTX 590 ?

From: filip fratev <filipfratev.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:16:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Marek and Ross,
I am a bit confused. GTX590 is roughly 1.5 times faster than GTX580. Moreover the individual GPUs scale very well (what I saw till now) between each other. I think that in the definition 1.5 was included the internal SLI factor too. On the other hand, from the explanations till now here seems that actually we speak about two individual not one cards i.e. what’s the point - scaling. If we spoke about some different applications I would definitely answer you Marek that there is no GTX580 model that will be faster than GTX590. Secondly if you run one job, ok in parallel, we will have again totally 3GB and you can run XXX thousands atoms simulation.

Thus my question here is probably for Ross:
1) How you expect the individual GPUs of GTX590 to scale in an Amber job?
I can not believe that if now two individual C2050 scales 1.4 it will be the same in the case of GTX590 cores. I don’t want to believe too that buying GTX590 we only safe one more slot when using Amber.
2) My second question is: how actually to run GTX590, using cuda.MPI or? Here I am a bit confused too because if I am not wrong I saw Amber tests on GTX295 before parallel Cuda version of Amber to be released.

Regards,
Filip

P.S. Marek, did you receive any answers from Nvidia about the Linux driver? Thanks in advance!