Re: [AMBER] How to get the free energy landscape from a MD simulation?

From: Ilyas Yildirim <i-yildirim.northwestern.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:33:28 -0500 (CDT)

Mahmoud - It seems that there is no tutorial for umbrella sampling/WHAM
approach in http://ambermd.org/tutorials , but you can check out the
following website for an example, which uses AMBER and WHAM to calculate
the PMF for butane.

http://projects.eml.org/mcm/people/wang/PMF/tutorial.html

You should also get familiar with Alan Grossfield's WHAM in order to get
the free energy surface:

http://membrane.urmc.rochester.edu/sites/default/files/wham/doc/doc.pdf

This example is for one torsional angle, but you can extend this
methodology to any case you want. The basic approach is to use NMR
restraints (distance/angle/torsion, etc.) to put bias to the potential
energy on a reaction coordinate, and then use weighted histogram analysis
to predict the PMF curve. The reaction coordinate can be anything. This
example is a 1D PMF example, and it is possible to do 2D PMF calculations
with AMBER. Note that in AMBER10/11, you can use generalized coordinates,
which I think is very useful to combine with umbrella sampling.

For the targetted MD/WHAM approach, check out the following papers. Even
though it does not use NMR restraints, the basics are the same.

Noy et al., Theoretical study of large conformational transitions in
DNA: B <-> A conformational change in water and ethanol/water, NAR 35,
3330-3338, 2007.

Banavali and Roux, Free energy landscape of A-DNA to B-DNA conversion in
aqueous solution, JACS 127, 6866-6876, 2005.

Note also that in these approaches/calculations (in the example and above
papers), you cannot have any reaction that will change the covalent
bonding of the system. Maybe you can do QMMM umbrella sampling-WHAM for
that purpose but I am not familiar with that. People in this mailing list
might comment on that.

Best regards,

   Ilyas Yildirim, Ph.D.
   = Department of Chemistry - 2145 Sheridan Road =
   = Northwestern University - Evanston, IL 60208 =
   = Ryan Hall #4035 (Nano Building) - Ph.: (847)467-4986 =
   = http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~yildirim/ =