Re: [AMBER] no answer so far - free energy profile for water slab

From: Martina Roeselova <roesel.uochb.cas.cz>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:57:16 +0100

We do NVT simulation with the box elongated in one dimension (normal to the
interface). This is a standard setup for slab simulations with liquid/vapor or
liquid/vacuum interface. The original (bulk) water box was 30 A x 30 A x 30 A. We
change the box size to 30 A x 30 A x 100 A, which results in a water slab of ~30 A
thickness with two liquid/vacuum interfaces. At room temperature (T=300 K), the
attractive interactions between water molecules are strong enough to keep them
together as a liquid, while the volume of the box remains fixed in the NVT run, with
a vacuum/vapor phase region above and below the liquid slab. We do see evaporation of
water molecules off the surface, but the 3D periodic boundary conditions ensure that
an evaporated molecule is always re-captured by the opposite water surface.

Martina

tel: +420-220 410 313
fax: +420-220 410 320
secretary: +420-220 410 321