Re: [AMBER] Use of semiempirical QM/MM method in Amber to obtain free energy profile of a reaction

From: Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 14:53:31 -0300

Hi Dmitry

Although it is true that a real /ab-initio/ calculation would, in
principle, be preferable, /ab-initio/ estimates suffer from a great
problem: sampling. Basically, how many single-point calculations did
you have to run to get your final results? If you used Jarzynski, with
multiple realizations of the reaction, I bet they have been a lot.
Now, imagine doing that with an /ab-initio/ method, and that by itself
should provide you with good argument.

Of course, you should back your results with comparisons, for simpler
reactions, between RM1 and /ab-initio/ results. There are a number of
articles out there that compare semi-empirical with /ab-intio/ and DFT
methods and hopefully you'll find one with reaction that are related
to the one you are dealing with.

Cheers,
Gustavo Seabra
Professor Adjunto