[AMBER] developing parameters for Zn-binding site

From: Jorgen Simonsen <jorgen589.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:44:10 +0100

Hi all,

I have a zinc site in my protein and I would like to develop
parameters for this site. I have found articles where the describe
what level of theory is used for copper ions but I have not been able
to find any for Zn2+ and I do not presume that one can generalize
here. So for my substrate I have used HF 6-31* but I would presume
that DFT using either GGA or hybrid functional would get the
geometries better as well as the Merz-Kollman charges - what is the
level of theory for parametrizing metal sites in this case zinc so
probably not so complicated?

Thanks in advance