Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA.py: Factoring in the contribution of individual HOH molecules to delta G

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:18:07 -0500

Hi George,

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM, George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com> wrote:

> Thanks Jason / Bill
>
> Your answers generated a couple of additional questions
>
> 1. Re Bill's answer
>
> I assume that I would have to set the strip_mask to remove all waters but
> the one that I'm interested in. Looking at the manual I fail to see what is
> the syntax for this operation. My molecular viewer shows that the HOH in
> question is numbered as molecule 2952.
>
> Would a syntax like the one below work?
>
> Input file for running PB and GB
> &general
> endframe=50, verbose=1,
> strip_mask=WAT2952
> # entropy=1,

This will not work. I actually suggest that you preprocess your trajectory
and use strip_mdcrd = 0 (and not let MMPBSA.py strip the solvent from your
trajectory). Typically, water exchange causes the *number* of the important
water molecule to change. If this is not the case (and no such exchange
occurs), then you can use a simple mask like ":401-2951,2953-8000" where
your solute has 400 residues and you have 8000 residues total (adjust those
numbers for your system obviously). Note that you have to use this mask in
ptraj; not MMPBSA.py since it doesn't allow commas. If water exchange does
occur, you'll have to use the "closest" or "closestwater" command in ptraj
to keep the one that is always in the right location.

Don't forget to create a complex/receptor/ligand prmtop with the water
molecule in the right place! MMPBSA.py should properly assign the masks if
you create your prmtop files properly and the ligand residues are continuous
(i.e. it's not residue 1 and 401 in the complex prmtop).

Good luck!
Jason

/

Quantum Theory Project,