Re: [AMBER] Amber usage and enquiry - 280111

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 00:29:03 -0500

Hello,

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Ken Choy <haruyapkc.gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there Amber Team, good day to you. Wish you well.
>
> I am enquiring on the Amber tools and Amber 11 software package for one of
> my collaborators at a local research university in Malaysia.
>
> May I know if:
>
> i) Amber is windows compatible; and if not, what is the computer
> requirement?

Amber is compatible with windows through a Unix-compatibility layer
(Cygwin). One part of amber can be built to run natively on Windows (pmemd
-- the performance engine).

However, the recommended platform is some kind of Unix (Linux, Mac OS X are
the two most commonly used platforms)

> ii) We are interested to purchase/use the software; and we are requesting
> for any help in regards to installation, training, troubleshooting etc (
> it's ok if it's chargeable ). Is it available?

AmberTools is free (open source), and can be downloaded directly from
http://ambermd.org/. There are instructions on "How to Order" amber11 right
below that.

There are occasional workshops around the world as time, money, and people
permit. However, these are not very frequent. The manual is detailed
(though as every manual, probably not as well as it should be) and full of
references. There are also tutorial websites that help to get you started
with the various programs amber offers. See http://ambermd.org/tutorials .
The Amber website also has a lot of information about, for example,
installing and running amber on different platforms, suggestions, etc.

As for troubleshooting, this list is a good source of help for those issues
that you can't figure out on your own. A decent working knowledge of Unix
operating systems will be a huge benefit, as this list is mainly here to aid
with some of the more intricate details of the program that often give
trouble. Note that the archives of this list are also a good resource, as
many questions have been asked in past (so there's a good chance any
question you may have has been answered before).

> iii) Any support/dealer in Malaysia?

Everything is online, which effectively makes it worldwide. AmberTools is
downloaded for free above where I described before. After you work out the
license agreement with those in charge, you will be given temporary,
authenticated download access to the file.

Amber is actively maintained, and before you compile/build Amber, make sure
to apply all of the fixes that have been written for the program:
http://ambermd.org/bugfixes.html

I hope this answers all of your questions,

Good luck!
Jason

> Please kindly advise and we hope to hear very soon from Amber ^^
>
> Thanks for the attention.
>
> Sincerely,
> KC Yap,
> Senior Application Chemist