Re: [AMBER] NaN error in .rst files

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:45:04 -0800

Hi Peker,

The iwrap option should NOT affect the energy or forces, it is simply a
visualization option in that it wraps water molecules back into the central
box as they translate out rather than storing the unimaged coordinates.
Before people could routinely run long simulations it did not matter either
way. Now people are routinely running 50ns+ simulations one sees the
situation where a water molecule can translate sufficient box lengths away
that its coordinates exceed the ASCII space defined in the restart file.
Hence iwrap becomes a MUST for long simulations.

You can safely turn it on in the middle of a set of simulations and it will
not cause any issues. Just when you come to visualize you will suddenly see
all the water jump back to the central box. But then again you probably want
to reimage, center and strip water using ptraj before visualizing long
trajectories anyway.

Please turn on iwrap=1 and see if the problem goes away.

I cast my vote for those listening for netcdf based restart files which will
solve this problem more elegantly.

If the problem persists with iwrap=1 set then we should try to investigate
further.

All the best
Ross