Re: [AMBER] questions on molsurf program

From: Senthil Natesan <sen.natesan.yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 09:42:04 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Jason. I appreciate your time and support.

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Senthil Natesan <sen.natesan.yahoo.com>wrote:

> Dear Amber Community,
>
> Greetings.
>
> I want to calculate SASA of a protein, per residue basis. I tried molsurf,
> but
> it just gives
> the total SASA. Is it possible to calculate SASA per residue? also is it

I believe that mm_pbsa.pl, via the decomp functionality, can do this, but
I'm not sure. You can look through the mm_pbsa source to see if it does.
In any case, you can have sander calculate the per-residue SASA by setting
surften=1.0, idecomp=1 or 2 (see the manual for discussions of these
variables). This assures that the surface area will be multiplied by 1, so
it won't be changed (surften), and idecomp = 1 or 2 decomposes the
contributions in a per-residue fashion. MMPBSA.py will create mdin files
for you, if you use the -create-mdins flag. Alternatively, you can look at
utils.py, which should show you the input files that are actually created.
(You'll need to get the latest version on
ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial3/py_script/ to get the decomp
functionality).

> possible to get polar and non-polar
> SASA separately ?

No.