Re: [AMBER] Amber force-field compatibility

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:32:50 -0800

Hi Jarmila,

I saw your email from several days ago but have not had time to properly
reply. You should post such questions to the amber mailing list since then
you will get a more prompt reply and from people who can better comment on
the appropriateness of certain force fields.

My gut instinct would be to use FF99SB with BSC0 - we tend to see slightly
better performance for proteins with FF99SB and the charge model is the same
as that for BSC0 - I have not seen anything showing the compatibility of the
point charge model between FF03 and other force fields that use a slightly
different approach and so I am wary of this. I would suggest looking at what
the authors used as the basis when they fitted BSC0 and go with this.

Others might be able to comment more.

As for Gromacs 4.5 with AMBER make sure you use double precision and NOT the
pure single precision implementation as we have seen issues with this
regarding energy conservation and stability.

Good luck,

Ross