Re: [AMBER] Protocol for structure determination of DNA duplex by NMR

From: David A. Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 07:36:22 -0400

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010, Olivier Julien wrote:

> I am pursuing the structure determination of a DNA duplex
> dodecamer by NMR. I am comparing a DNA duplex containing a modified base,
>
> QUESTION #1:
> I am using the following backbone dihedral angles typical for B-DNA (+/- 40 degrees):
> (Bax et al., 1DUF.pdb)
> $alpha = -61; $beta = 180; $gamma = 57;
> $delta = 123; $epsi = -169; $zeta = -91;
> Does this seem appropriate?

I don't know. It depends on how many "real" NMR constraints you have and what
you want to do with the structrual ensemble once you get it.

> More importantly, how are the dihedral angles defined? Between -180 to
> +180? between -360 to +360?

It doesn't matter...dihedral angle is periodic, giving the same structure
every 360 degrees.

> Would -60 = 300 degrees?

Yes.

> If one look at http://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial4/files/5col.bb
> Is 2 CYT EPSILN -240.0 10.0 = -115 +/- 125 ?

Yes.

> QUESTION #2:

> Should I do a minimization after? Or is this sufficient?

You have already cooled (as I understand it) to a very low temperature.
Minimization probably won't change things very much, but you could try it to
see.

....dac