Re: [AMBER] Aromatic C and N atom type problems in Antechamber

From: Gabriel Rocklin <gabriel.rocklin.ucsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:29:38 -0700

Dear Junmei,

Thanks for your response. It was very helpful. I still have a few
questions to try to explain the strange results that I'm getting.

First, I realize now that I wasn't using the latest version of Antechamber.
 I was using Antechamber 1.27 instead of the version included in AmberTools
1.4. I've now parameterized my molecules using Antechamber in AmberTools
1.4, and now I get the same atom types as what you sent me. This seems to
have fixed the problem I observed where aromatic atoms would be typed as nh,
c2, etc. You've also explained to me that the 'na' atom types observed in
imidazole, pyrrole, etc are actually correct, so I'm not worried about
seeing this now. However, I still am getting molecules with conformations
that seem to be incorrect. Perhaps this is a parameter problem rather than
an atom typing problem?

There are at least two parameters that I think are causing problems.

The first is the torsion:
X -ca-na-X 4 1.200 180.000 2.000

If ca is a pure aromatic carbon, and na is a planar aromatic nitrogen, why
is the barrier to rotation so weak here (1.2 kcal/mol)? This comes up when
I parameterize imidazopyridinium. In my first email, I sent a mol2 file for
imidazopyridine. When I parameterize this, the atoms bridging the ring are
typed as cd and na, and have a rotation barrier of 6.8 kcal/mol. However,
in imidazopyridinium (attached), the atoms are typed as ca and na, so the
rotation barrier is only 1.2 kcal/mol. This allows the two fused rings to
fold against each other rather than staying planar. I've attached an
example conformation (pdb) that I've gotten from doing a vacuum simulation
of this molecule using the GAFF parameters. Is there a parameter problem
here, an atom typing problem, or neither? Why should imidazopyridinium have
such a different barrier than imidazopyridine?

The second problem is with angles. Going back to imidazopyridine, when I
parameterize this using AmberTools 1.4, all of the carbons around the
ring-bridging nitrogen are typed cc, and the bridging nitrogen is typed na.
 This is also true in the file imidazopyridine.prepi that you emailed me,
although your molecule seems to have added some phenyl groups. The cc-na-cc
angle in gaff.dat (as well as in the imidazopyridine.frcmod that you sent
me) is specified as:

cc-na-cc 68.940 109.900

This is basically a tetrahedral angle, even though all three of these atom
types are supposed to be planar and aromatic. So, the nitrogen which fuses
the rings attempts to be tetrahedral, which results in the rings folding up
against one another (partially) rather than the entire molecule staying
flat.

One molecule that particularly suffers from this angle problem is
imidazothiazolium. This also contains a cc-na-cc angle despite being fully
aromatic (I think?) and results in bent conformations. I've attached a mol2
file and pdb file from a vacuum simulation of this molecule using GAFF
parameters and the bending of the aromatic rings is very obvious. Is there
something wrong with these aromatic angle parameters?

Thanks for your earlier reply and I hope we can identify what is happening
here and fix a problem if there is one.

Finally, I am going to be on vacation from 9/28 until 10/15. I still want
to get this issue resolved, but I won't be able to reply to emails in that
time period. If you identify a problem or can explain to me to what's
happening, I'll look at it as soon as I get back.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Gabriel Rocklin
UCSF Shoichet/Dill Labs

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Junmei Wang <Junmei.Wang.utsouthwestern.edu