Re: [AMBER] FW: MD on an array of small molecules

From: Bozell, Joseph John <jbozell.utk.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 20:55:54 +0000

Hi Jason,

Let me see if understood your description correctly, as I am still ending up
with a representation in leap that shows only a single molecule with atoms
represented as diamonds and no explicit bonds

1) Load two identical molecules into leap from antechamber:

loadamberprep abxylal.prepin
saveoff Molecules.lib
loadamberprep abxylal1.prepin
saveoff Molecules.lib

result: a library file that appears to contain all necessary info for the
two molecules. NOTE: I used the prepin files generated from antechamber and
did not generate mol2 files since those were what I had available.

2) use packmol to generate a combined pdb from the two pdb files that were
also used to generate the Molecules.lib file, using the same names for the
residues that were used in step 1.

result: combined file with TER card between the two residues/molecules

3) load the library:

loadoff Molecules.lib

4) define the entire array:

total_mol=loadpdb abxylalpair.pdb

Output from leap:

- - residue 1: duplicate [C1] atoms (total 2)
- - residue 1: duplicate [C10] atoms (total 2)
- - residue 1: duplicate [C11] atoms (total 2)

...<multiple similar lines removed>

Warning: Atom names in each residue should be unique. (Same-name atoms are
handled by using the first occurrence and by ignoring the rest. Frequently
duplicat atom names stem from alternate conformations in the PDB file.)

Unknown residue: UNK number: 0 type:Terminal/last
..relaxing end constraints to try for a dbase match
  -no luck
Creating new UNIT for residue: UNK sequence:1
Created a new atom named: O1 within residue: .R<UNK 1>
Created a new atom named: O2 within residue: .R<UNK 1>
Created a new atom named: H2O within residue: .R<UNK 1>

...<multiple similar lines removed>

Total atoms in file: 132
The file contained 65 atoms not in residue templates

5) observe molecule

edit total_mol

Result: a single molecule (or two identical superimposed molecules?) with
atoms represented by diamonds and no explicit bonds.

I apparently went awry somewhere, but I am curious about placing two
identical molecules generated from antechamber into "Molecule.lib". Wouldn't
that lead to identical coordinates for the atoms?

Still trying...and thanks again,

Joe Bozell
University of Tennessee

On 9/24/10 9:13 AM, "Jason Swails" <jason.swails.gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

My suggestion is to take each separate small molecule, parameterize it
> using
antechamber if that works for you (maybe use R.E.D. if you need
> more
stringent charge derivation), then load it into leap and use the
> "saveoff"
procedure to save an amber library file. For example, suppose you
> have 2
small molecules molecule1.pdb and molecule2.pdb. Use R.E.D. or
> antechamber
as you will, and get the files molecule1.mol2 and molecule2.mol2
> with
partial charges for each atom. Then load them into leap as such:

mol1 =
> loadmol2 molecule1.mol2
mol2 = loadmol2 molecule2.mol2

saveoff mol1
> Molecules.lib
saveoff mol2 Molecules.lib

This will create a library file
> "Molecules.lib" that has all of the bonding
and charge information for each of
> your molecules. Then you can use packmol
to create your combined PDB file,
> which should have the molecules in
Molecules.lib each with the same residue
> name and atom names. Then, you can
load this library into leap:

loadoff
> Molecules.lib

total_mol = loadPDB packmol_structure.pdb

And then you just
> have to make sure that you have parameters for all of the
atom types and
> bonds/angles/dihedrals. You can use parmchk on each of the
original mol2
> files to get these.

Hope this helps,
Jason

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 9:02 AM,
> [...]

> the
> >> optimized structure generated in amber for a single molecule and
> just
> clone
> >> multiple copies of it for evaluation in an MD run? Xleap
> does not appear
> >> have a way to carry out a molecular copy step, or
> the ability to arrange
> an
> >> array of molecules in various conformations.
> Sirius 1.2 allows me to
> import
> >> a couple of molecules and position them
> independently, but does not seem
> >> be able to save the resulting
> molecular pair as a single file of
> coordinates
> >> (maybe I haven't dug
> deeply enough into its operation??). The closest
> >> analogies I've seen
> involve docking a substrate in an enzyme, but I have
> >> been unable to
> translate those methodologies to the simpler molecules
> I'm
> >> working
> with.
> >>
> >> Again, thanks for any guidance,
> >>
> >> Joe Bozell
> >>
> University of Tennessee
> >
> > There are ways of getting LEaP to do what you
> want, I believe, but the
> packmol
> > program
> (http://www.ime.unicamp.br/~martinez/packmol/<http://www.ime.unicamp.br/%7Emar
> tinez/packmol/>)
> was created to do
> > exactly what you want. Look at the
> example of a mixed urea-water box,
> IIRC.
> >
> > Of course you will need the
> concentration you want to simulate -> the
> number
> > of
> > molecules of
> your solute in the simulation cell. Plus the number of
> waters to
> >
> achieve a density of ~1.0. My experience is that simulation cells
> created
>
> > with
> > packmol drop precipitously in energy in the first few steps of
> dynamics
> due to
> > reorientation of the molecules leading to a lower
> electrostatic term, so
> > an initial short dynamics run at 100K is a good
> (but not strictly
> necessary)
> > idea. Then proceed on with the regular
> equilibration of temperature,
> density,
> > etc.
> >
> > Since simulation
> systems set up with packmol start out containing
> solvent, if
> > you need a
> vacuum prmtop (e.g., for postprocessing analysis), you will
> have to
> >
> strip the solvent, then generate the prmtop on the stripped PDB. Kind of> >
> backwards to the ordinary way of doing things.

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Graduate
> Student