Re: [AMBER] Sander/pmemd usage: refc question

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:36:27 -0400

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM, <mdkvia.yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Thank you for the reply. I apologize for the confusion with -c. I meant
> -ref.
>
> So my question #2 is: Say I run a single job with -ref option and the
> reference coordinates are in file ref.rst. Now I divide this single job to 3
> as I mentioned in the previous email. So, now for the -ref of the 3 jobs I
> should provide the same ref.rst if I want to have the same results as the
> single long job. Is this line of thinking correct?

Like Scott said, they'll never be the "same". However, you'll want to keep
all reference structures the same to get the *equivalent* of a single run,
yes. You should decide what to do based on what you're trying to learn
though, not necessarily whether or not you want to emulate a single long
run.

> Yes, I understand that there will be rounding off errors etc. But apart
> from those, the results must be comparable b/w the single long job and the 3
> shorter jobs. If not I was just wondering how to run a long simulation
> without having to deal with unmanageably huge trajectory files.

Write out less often (i.e. make ntwx larger). Use ioutfm=1 to write to a
higher precision, compressed binary trajectory format (netCDF) to obtain
smaller trajectories of higher precision that are much faster to read,
write, and process. This is detailed in the amber manual.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida